Happy New Year! It’s 2014, and we welcome all of you to the first Weekly Wrap-Up of the New Year! The holidays have drawn to a close, and we spent the afternoon checking the interwebs to see what’s happened this week in FashionLand. Sit back and enjoy:
We’re really into bold, bright colors and pairings this season. Incorporating these shades into your beauty regime is a good way to add a fresh pop to your everyday look, without being too overwhelming. Whether you’re more of a nail polish gal or you like to rock a bold lip, we have lots of outfit ideas for you! <!–more–> Using a specific beauty trend as inspiration, we’ve compiled five separate outfits with our favorite Tradesy items. Take a look!
Wear this Essie Juicy Lime Green Nail Polish with this Rachel Roy oversized top, these DSquared boyfriend jeans, these tan Jimmy Choo sandals, and this Badgley Mischka tote, and you’re guaranteed to have the perfect mix of casual and cool.
Pair Chanel’s Rouge Allure Velvet Luminous Matte Lip Color with this Nicole Miller v-neck dress, this Jean Paul Gaultier chain bracelet and these Christian Louboutin black patent pumps and your ‘fit is sure to be a hit!
With over 250,000 members on the Tradesy site, we know there are so many of you out there with your own, unique stories to tell and cool closets to share. Today, we’re featuring Julie Bortnick, one of our lovely members who has a killer closet and a great eye for style. <!–more–> Julie’s blog, from prosecco to plaid, is an inspirational guide on everything from fashion and style to entertaining and events to interior design and decor. Her Tradesy closet shows off her impeccable taste, with a mix of simple, formal pieces and laid-back, patterned wear.
Julie studied fashion and retail merchandising in college and upon graduating, began working in buying and wholesale. She then switched over to work for Petra Nemcova, a famous Czech model and philanthropist. It was around this time that Julie also decided to channel her love for writing into the creation of her own blog. Expanding upon her past experiences with fashion, Julie wanted to make the focus of from prosecco to plaid a fun mix of fashion tips and inspiration, cooking ideas and how-to’s, cool DIY projects, event recaps and everything in between! While she’s currently still working for Petra and doing freelance work on the side, she continues to be passionate about her blog and fill it with all sorts of creative posts. What started on a whim has now become something that Julie can’t imagine her life without!
Julie’s also become an all-star Tradesy member, with a closet featuring items from Dior heels to an Elizabeth and James t-shirt. Shop Julie’s entire closet here, and check out from prosecco to plaid on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram!
Pittsburgh showed Tradesy some love this week by featuring us on their CBS News! <!–more–> In the segment, Tradesy member Jessica Szymik talks about her experiences on the site, as both a buyer and a seller. Jessica was able to find her bridal shower dress on Tradesy and plans to make some extra cash off of her higher-end, but unworn clothing items. She also hopes to sell her wedding clothes after the big day, as she doesn’t foresee needing them again. Check out the video above to see Jessica’s interview with CBS Pittsburgh!
Whether you keep tons of unworn items in your closet or fill it with pants and basics, the kinds of clothes you store can say a lot about your personality. Tradesy founder Tracy DiNunzio spoke to Marie Claire last month to talk about what your closet says about you, and how you can build off this information to increase your future success. <!–more–> Here’s what Tracy had to say:
- If your closet is filled with brand labels, you may care a lot about the way the world sees you and may even be avoiding forming your own, true identity.
- If your closet consists of lots of unworn clothes with their tags off, you may have trouble letting go of your past. This can be tied to a specific time in your life (like holding on to a pre-baby wardrobe to reminisce) or you might just have trouble letting go of things in your life generally.
- If your closet has mostly unworn clothes with their tags on, this usually means you’re buying clothes for a desired future, but not doing anything constructive to make it happen. This is an easy fix- just start wearing these clothes and you’ll give yourself the push to reach your ideal.
- If your closet lacks color, you may prefer to go unnoticed. This could be due to low self-esteem or just a introverted personality type.
- If you only have pants in your closet, you may be trying to tone down your sexuality to fit in at work or within your social circle.
- If you have different versions of the same thing in your closet, you may be scared of change, both in your wardrobe and in your life. You often have a desire to change things, but this is either going unfulfilled or you’re too scared to take the plunge.
- Tracy’s tips: have someone else clean out your closet for you, take the things you don’t wear and sell or donate them and then figure out the woman you want to be and start dressing like her.
Check out the full article to get even more helpful tips for cleaning out your closet to better improve your potential and get to where you want to be.
Shop our Downtown Cool Sale to get your dream designer bag for an even dreamier price. <!–more–> Use the code STREETCHIC50 to take $50 off a variety of bags, all on sale for $400 or more. Hurry, the deal ends tomorrow at midnight!
This week’s wardrobe wonders can be found in the closets of three amazing Tradesy users, each with their own distinct look. Find simple, high-end basics and classic statement pieces in Colette K.’s Closet. In the market for glam bags, shoes or sunglasses? Shop Laura H.’s Closet! Or, if you’re more of a free-spirit, peek into Elizabeth T.’s Closet. There’s a look for everyone in each of these closets! <!–more–>
Polka dots are one of our favorite trends at Tradesy HQ. Why? Because they are spot-tacular! Ok, cheesy puns aside, this print really is a great way to spice up your wardrobe and add a little pop to your everyday look. <!–more–>
Pair this trend with brightly colored bottoms, simple gold jewelry, or classic boyfriend jeans. Want more options? Pair a polka dot dress with a floppy sunhat, or combine a basic outfit with a brightly colored polka dot bag. No matter what you choose, there’s something for everyone with this trend!
Spring is in the air! Well… at least for us here in Los Angeles. For the rest of you out there, you can at least dream of sunnier days to come. To help get your mind going, we’re featuring one of our favorite trends from Spring/Summer 2013 runway: hot pink. <!–more–> Whether you’re throwing a blazer over the rest of your outfit, sporting a pink pant, or adding some pop through a cool accessory or bag, pink is the color of this spring season. Do you have any cool pink items that you can’t wait to wear this spring? Share them with us in the comments below!